Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs
Professor Nixon Kamukama Ph.D is the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic Affairs at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) since 2016. Nixon is a visiting Professor of Ankole Western University- Kabwohe Sheema. Nixon is the Board member of Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL) and chairs both Finance and Audit committee. He is also a board member of the Forensic and Computing Institute. Nixon also chairs the Board of MUST Centre of Innovation and Technology Transfer (CITT).
He is also a board member of the Forensic and Computing Institute. He is a board member of Consortium for Affordable Medical Technology (CAMTECH). He was the chairperson, Board of trustees of Makerere University Business School Retirement Befits Scheme for 5 years. Since 2017, he has been a supervisor of East Ankole Millennium SACCO. Nixon is the Head of Laity of St. John’s Church, Kyangyenyi Sheema district.
Nixon is a senior business consultant and the Director of AKONIX Hardware and General Enterprises ‘U’ Ltd; dealers of hardware and training in financial and investment planning.
He previously worked as the Head of Procurement & Logistics Management Department, Faculty of Computing & Management Science – Makerere University Business School. He also worked as senior Accountant with Uganda Railways Corporation from 1993 to 1999.
Other than being a PhD holder in business, Nixon is a pioneer of Msc. Accounting & Finance (MUK), holds a Post graduate diploma in Computer Science, post graduate diploma in Microfinance operations and Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting option).
Nixon has authored a good number of academic articles in different high class international journals. Out of the 15 articles authored, Nixon received the following meritorious academic awards for the two articles:
- In 2013, received Best Paper Runner-Up Award from Taylor and Francis Group for the article entitled “Intellectual Capital: Firms’ hidden source of service quality in the Microfinance industry in Uganda”, published in the Journal of African Business.
- In 2014, received the International Journal of Commerce and Management 2014 Highly Commended Paper Award from Emerald Group Publishing Ltd on the paper entitled “Social Capital: mediator of social intermediation and financial services in the Microfinance Institutions in Uganda
In terms of research projects, Nixon undertook the following;
- Biodiversity Hotspot Conservation – A Batwa Cultural Tourism Development and Management Approach. Research grant of US$100,000, under the grant number CEPF 109068. Nixon was a Co- Investigator (Co-I) in this project and Dr. Medard Twinamatsiko was the Principal Investigator (PI). Project ended in December 2019.
- Project: Leveraging Foreign Investment (FDI) to increase Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) access to finance in Africa: A Case of Uganda. The project was for 10 months in 2016. It involved grant of US$ 49,000 from Trust Africa.
- Project: Financial Services for the Poor Initiative: Customer Credit Counseling/Debt Relief Services; a project covered Central and Western parts of Uganda. The project was for 2 years (2015 – 2017) and involved a grant of US $200,000 from Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
He is the author of Cost & Management Accounting Text Book, a widely used book Accountants of Uganda by students offering different Accounting related disciplines.
Besides, Nixon wrote paper7 study pack for Cost and Management Accounting for the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU). It contains materials for examinations effective 2016.
Nixon is an external examiner of Uganda Martyrs University (Nkozi), Moi University- Eldoret in the School of Business & Economics, & Women’s university in Africa Harare – Zimbabwe. He also served as external examiner at Kyamboga University in the School of Entrepreneurship and Management, & Uganda Management Institute (UMI) in 2015 and 2016 respectively.
He has successfully supervised over 200 students at post-graduate level, out of which, six are PhD holders.
He is also reviewer of International Journal of Commerce & Management, and International Journal of Competitive Review.
Deputy Vice Chancellor Finance & Administration
Associate Professor Charles Tushabomwe-Kazooba (CTK) is the Pioneer University Bursar (UB), MUST from December 1990 to June 2000, outsourced from Makerere University, Kampala. He spearheaded the establishment of the Finance Department (FD) and the Internal Audit Department (IAD) of MUST. This involved the drafting of the initial accounting policies and procedures, internal audit manual, tender committee regulation, Chart of accounts, instituting best management procedures for financial management and control.
Associate Professor CTK holds a Doctor of Philosophy [PhD] degree in Sustainability Accounting and Reporting [SAR] from Mbarara University of Science and Technology [MUST]. He also holds a Master of Business Administration and a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration from University of Birmingham, UK. He did his Bachelor of Commerce degree [BCom] program at Makerere University, Uganda. Besides, CTK is a professional accountant and holds ACCA, CPA (U) and ACIS. He is a Consultant in Sustainability Accounting and Reporting (SAR) and Integrated Reporting (IR). He has extensive administrative and management experience particularly in the University education and training sub-sector.
Associate Professor CTK is an experienced researcher with over 27 publications in renowned referred journals and has facilitated at national and international conferences. Not only is he committed to teaching and supervision of both postgraduate diploma and Masters Students, but also supervises PhD students and has been a member of a number of the Doctoral Committees.
Using his academic contacts and linkages with International Development (IDS), University of Dalhousie, Canada, solicited funding for some senior staff members at MUST to purse studies (Capacity Development for Food Security in Cuba and Uganda). He is highly involved in community service and is currently the Vice Chairman of Chartered Bishop Stuart University; at the same time, is Chairman, Committee of Finance, Planning and Properties which is responsible for managing all the funds, assets and property of the university.
Contact: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org