The Governing Structure of the University.
- The Chancellor is the titular head of the University
• presides at all graduation ceremonies of the University
• in the name of the University, confers degrees and other academic titles and distinctions of the University
• May at any time, on the direction of the Visitor, cause a visitation of the University to be conducted, for the purpose specified in the directive.
The current University chancellor: Professor Peter Mugyenyi
The University Council
- the supreme organ of the University, responsible for the overall administration
• Council ensures due implementation of the objectives and functions of the University
• is established in accordance with the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001, and has five committees, namely:
– Finance and General Purpose Committee
– Planning and Development Committee
– Estates and Works Committee
– Appointments Board
– Students’ Welfare and Disciplinary Committee
Chairpersons of Council since inception
1st Council chair Hon. Rebecca Kadaga 1989 –
2nd Council chair Professor Gilbert Bukenya and Professor Peter Mugenyi
3rd Council chair Mr. James Tumusiime
4th Mr. James Tumusiime
5th Dr. Ben Mbonye -Present
The Vice-Chancellor is responsible for academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University
The Vice Chancellor is assisted by one Deputy Vice Chancellor
1st Vice Chancellor, Prof. I. B. Kayanja
Current Vice Chancellor, Prof. Celestino Obua
The University Senate
- Responsible for organization, control and direction of academic matters of the University i.e. in charge of teaching, research and general standards of education and assessment.
• Senate members are drawn from the academic staff, senior administrative staff, non-academic staff, the public, students and appointees of the Minister of Education and Sports.
Top Management Committee
- Overseas the day-to-day running of the University.
• chaired by the Vice Chancellor,
• Composed of the top administrators of the University, and the Executive Director of the teaching hospital.
Faculty/ Institute Boards
- Each faculty / Institute has a board chaired by the Dean or Director in case of the Institute
• The decisions made at the faculty level, feed into Top Management Committee, Senate and University Council, in that order. In order to sustain and strengthen the link with the teaching hospital
The Contracts Committee
- as required by the Public Procurement and disposal of Public assets Act 2003
• The committee is made up of five members, including a lawyer from the office of the Solicitor General, and handles the university procurements.
• The committee works hand in hand with the University procurement unit, to ensure fairness, transparency and value for money in the procurement process.