Re: Opportunity for Scholarship Support to Masters Students under Makerere-Sida Research Program
Makerere University is implementing the ‘Makerere-Sida Bialateral Research Program’ supported by the Government of Sweden (2010-2014). A component of this program was designed to support capacity building at partner public universities in Uganda. Under this component, a total of 20 scholarships were to be competed for by applicants nominated by the respective Vice Chancellors of the partner public universities. The applicants were to undertake their studies at Makerere University in any of the four faculties – Medicine, Social Sciences, Technology and Agriculture.
Following nominations and competition for these scholarships, 17 PhD students were successful, received the awards and are progressing. Given that the program ends in June 2014, no PhD additional student can enter the program at the moment. This leaves funds for three (3) PhD students unutilized.
Therefore, at a recent meeting of the Sida Steering Committee (November 13, 2012) a decision was made to open up the competition for Masters students of partner public universities to compete for this opportunity and use the remaining PhD funds . The requirements are as follows:
1. Applicants must be masters students who are staff of a partner public university in Uganda (Provide evidence of appointment by appointments Board)
2. Applicants must be already admitted and/or registered in a recognized university (Provide evidence)
3. Applicant must be supported by the Vice Chancellor of their university
4. Applicant must declare any other source of funding (Provide evidence)
5. Applicant should clearly show the approved costs to be incurred for the Masters program (Provide evidence/letter of support)
6. Master’s students at any stage of their Master’s degree program are eligible to apply
7. Applicants must complete their Masters degree program by June 2014
Deadline for application is 5.00 pm January 5, 2013.
Mode of Application
Submit 3 hard copies of application endorsed by the Vice Chancellor with supporting relevant documents clearly marked ‘Application for Sida Support’ to:
The Director, Directorate of Research and Graduate Training
P.O. Box 7062
Kampala - Uganda